Signing up on social network sites is not just about adding Lady Gaga, Ashton Kutcher, or any celebrity (for that matter) to your list of contacts. It is also about connecting with other people all over the world. If you are marketing online, it means using your account to extend your reach globally.
Now, if you are one who thinks that giving updates on your activities seem like a waste of time, here are a few…
Interesting Twitter Facts
to give you an idea on its big impact to the Web…
- The top 3 countries with the most number of users consist of the United States with 107.7 million members, Brazil with 33.3 million, and Japan with 29.9 million.
- It only took a little above 3 years for the total number of Tweets to reach one billion.
- There were 572,000 accounts created on March 12, 2011, in just one day!
- Around 92% of users Retweet because they find the content interesting.
- Twitter is one of the top ten websites with the most visitors.
There are more to these fantastic insights that the list can take at least two pages. But we need to continue with the next part…
How do you make the most of your Tweets?
You are probably familiar with search engine optimization or SEO. Am I right? It involves using strategies, which allow you to rank well in Google, Bing, or Yahoo (to name a few popular search engines).
Why are we talking about this? Check out the following reasons to know the answers.
- Google has Social Search, which provides relevant content shared or created by anyone from your network.
- Search engines crawl and index Tweets and other content in real time.
- They also use social media links to determine your ranking.
Given these details, you can see that you really need to optimize your social page.
With that said, here are ten great SEO tips for Twitter.
1. Create appropriate username
While you mull over different names and aliases on your mind, consider the following aspects:
- Avoid using underscores between each word.
- Keep it short, so it will be easy to memorize.
- Limit the characters to 15 or less.
- Use your company or brand name.
2. Link to your website
Again, you have to remember important things, which include the following:
- Do not use a URL shortener to keep your link from looking dubious.
- Instead, use your real URL to help you gain your target audience’s trust and entice them to check out your site.
3. Connect to your other social profiles
Do you have a page on Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube? Then, link to these too. You also have to include your blog site (that is, if you have one).
4. Optimize your bio
Make good use of your 160-character description about yourself (or your company) given that Google uses it to help you rank in search engine result pages (SERPs). Of course, do not forget these tips.
- Provide concise yet interesting information with relevant keywords.
5. Post eye-catching Tweets
Well, this may not be much of an optimization strategy; however, you will surely increase your number of followers if you always have engrossing and fascinating viewpoints.
Then, comes the SEO part…
6. Integrate keywords
As you think of the wittiest Tweet, you should also take note of the following pointers:
- Use relevant phrases to help you obtain a good spot in SERPs.
- Embed hashtags (which looks like this – #keyword) to categorize the post.
- Place your important Tweets in the “Favorite” category of your page.
- Encourage retweets to boost your social credibility and authority, which (in turn) can improve your ranking.
7. Limit the length of your posts
You can come up with 140-character tweets. However, you should try to keep it as short as possible. This way, other users can put in their thoughts regarding your content, whenever they retweet.
8. Optimize your profile picture
When renaming your photo, remember these tips.
- Add a key phrase with each word separated by dashes or hyphens.
- The image has to be in 250×250 pixels to ensure easy uploading.
- It has to be in jpg format too.
9. Organize your Twitter Lists
It refers to your subgroups of followers, which you can categorize and optimize through the following tips:
- Go to your profile tab and choose “Lists”. Then, select “create list” and start to classify your contacts.
- Use a catchy list name.
- Include keywords and your URL in the description.
10. Place videos
Embed and share these to attract more users to your page. While doing these, you have to consider the following:
- The clips have to remarkable yet short.
- They must have tags and relevant terms for indexing purposes.
What do you think? Do these techniques seem easy enough? Well, you won’t know unless you try. If you have not signed up for Twitter yet, go ahead and do so. Then, you can put these pointers to good use.
About the Author: Emma Tomlinson is the Head of Retail at Smart Traffic, a UK-based specialist company concentrating on business SEO.