Pixie: My Favorite Color Picker for Graphic and Web Design and Photo Editing

In giving tips and lessons to fellow bloggers, the question I am asked most is: What color is that? Yes, of course it’s red, but which red? Again and again I have delighted in showing people Pixie and seeing the excitement when they realize just how easy it is to find the color they are looking for.

When I create logos, headers, newsletter layouts, labels, or web site designs, I’m often given an image to start with. Pixie makes it easy for me to find colors from that image to use in my design, ensuring the design and image don’t clash.

Pixie runs on my computer almost 24/7. The only time it is turned off, and has to be restarted, is when I reboot my laptop. I use it that much.

This amazing little tool is free, and can be downloaded at Nattyware.com. (Pixie Color Picker) It will instantly show you the HEX, HTML, RGB, CMYK, and HSV color numbers for any color you mouse-over.

Comments

1. says

Gordie,

I checked out colorpicker.com. It would be cool for inserting a color and then getting different shades of it, but it doesn’t look like you can just mouse over the color of any image and find the color you’re looking for. That’s what I like about Pixie. It runs on top of any browser, program, etc. And, it allows you to pick color from anywhere!

Thanks for visiting!

2. says

Gordie,

Thanks for visiting!

3. Chris Smith says

I really like ColorZilla for Firefox. It is one of my favorite addins for Firefox aside from Firebug (for CSS).

I’ll have to take a look at Pixie too.

• says

I’m the exact same way Chris. I use ColorZilla, but more often, I will use Firebug and Photoshop.

Pixie might be what I need to obtain colour from outside of Firefox, thanks for the link Erica!

4. Chris Smith says

I’ll have to take a look at Pixie too.

• says

5. says

I use PixelPerfect, Firefox plug in. But from your post and description it certainly sounds easy and a cool tool to use. Might even drag myself away from my general schedule and try it out.
    THanks for the heads up on this.

6. says

THanks for the heads up on this.

7. says

Chris,

I tried ColorZilla and while it seems pretty cool, I think I still like my Pixie better since it can be used outside of the Firefox browser…

Thanks for the recommendation tho and for visiting my site!